Our Rube Goldberg machine demonstrated three of the simple machines. For example, one of the machines was a pulley, which was Chris’s step and was used to connect Amelia’s to mine. We also had a lever and a wedge for Cormac’s step, which was connected from Julia’s inclined plane and then to Amelia’s. Last but not least, I had an inclined plane, which was made of half PVC pipes. In the beginning, we demonstrated potential energy because we started our rube with Vincent’s and it set everything off. We also demonstrated kinetic energy by when the whole rube was moving and pushing other things off. In Colby’s piece of the rube, it went straight down a “V”, which showed speed and how that was one of the faster parts of the whole rube.
We were told to figure out our potential energy and kinetic energy during our rubes.
Potential Energy (Joules) = Mass (m) x Gravity (g) x Height (h)
PE = potential energy
m = 7.0 grams …
= 0.007 kg
g = 9.81 m/s2
h = 50cm
= 0.5 m
Potential Energy = ( 0.007 kg ) x ( 9.81 m/s2) x ( 0.5 m)
PE = 0.0343 Joules
I had to find kenetic energy:
Kinetic Energy (Joules) = ½ (m) (v2)
m = mass (kilograms) v = velocity ( m/s) KE = kinetic energy
m = 7.0 g = 0.007 kg
v = 45 cm/s = 0.45 m/s
Kinetic Energy = ½ x (0.007 kg) x (0.45 m/s2) … (0.5) x (0.007 kg) x (0.2025)
KE = 7.0875 x 10-4 = 0.00070875 Joules
For this project we started out by drawing prototypes. My group was kind of distracted in the beginning, but we looked at examples online and drew ideas. Next, we got together with a small group and we each drew out our first design for our steps. After, we grouped up with our final groups and started to refine our ideas. The last step we took to finish our design process was, combining all of our final steps into one drawing so could analyze it and make sure it made sense and fit together. The 21st century skill I used most in this process was collaboration. All throughout the project, I had to collaborate with all of my group members to make sure they planned our their steps and see what they were up to next. Our builing took the entire group collaborating and communicating so that we were able to be successful when we started to build our steps and mount them on to the base.
Even though I did use all of the 21st Century Skills during this project, that doesn’t mean I don’t have any areas of growth within a few of them. I feel like the one I can grow in and improve on the most is refinement.I feel like I could have put more thought into my part and refined it alot more by adding to it. And then, when our finished piece was coming to an end, we could have made that look a lot better. I feel like more effort could have been put in for that process to make it better than what it was.